Holidays in New Zealand
New Zealand celebrates a range of holidays and observances throughout the year. Here are some of the most significant holidays and observances in New Zealand:
- New Year's Day (Timatanga Hou) - January 1st: New Year's Day is celebrated with parties, fireworks, and various festivities.
- Waitangi Day - February 6th: Commemorates the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi in 1840, which is considered New Zealand's founding document. It's a day for reflection, cultural performances, and historical reenactments.
- Easter (Wa o Hotoke) - Date varies: Easter is a Christian holiday celebrated with church services and family gatherings. Good Friday and Easter Monday are public holidays.
- Anzac Day - April 25th: Honors the soldiers of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) who served and died in wars, conflicts, and peacekeeping operations. Dawn services and parades are held nationwide.
- Kings's Birthday - First Monday in June: Celebrates the birthday of the reigning monarch, marked with parades and public events.
- Matariki - Date varies (June to July): Also known as the Maori New Year, Matariki is celebrated with cultural performances, storytelling, and the viewing of the Matariki star cluster.
- Labour Day (Ra o Nga Kaimahi) - Fourth Monday in October: A day to celebrate workers' rights and achievements. Many businesses and schools are closed.
- Christmas Day (Ra Kirihimete) - December 25th: Christmas is celebrated with festive meals, gift-giving, and church services.
- Boxing Day (Rapare) - December 26th: Boxing Day is a public holiday known for shopping sales, sports events, and outdoor activities.
- New Year's Eve (Po Rawhiti) - December 31st: The year ends with celebrations, parties, and fireworks to welcome the new year.
In addition to these holidays, New Zealand has regional holidays and observances, as well as various cultural festivals and events that showcase the country's diverse communities and traditions.
Upcoming Holidays (next six months)
|Christmas Day||December 25||Monday||Public Holiday|
|Boxing Day||December 26||Tuesday||Public Holiday|
|New Year’s Day||January 01||Monday||National Holiday|
|Waitangi Day||February 06||Tuesday||Public Holiday|
|Good Friday||March 29||Friday||Public Holiday|
|Easter Monday||April 01||Monday||Public Holiday|
|Anzac Day||April 25||Thursday||Public Holiday|