Public Holidays in Cape Verde
Cape Verde, a beautiful island nation off the coast of West Africa, observes a variety of public holidays throughout the year. These holidays reflect the country's rich cultural heritage, historical events, and religious diversity. Here are some of the major public holidays celebrated in Cape Verde:
- New Year's Day (Dia de Ano Novo) - January 1st: Just like in many other countries, Cape Verdeans celebrate the beginning of the new year with festivities, parties, and fireworks.
- Freedom Day (Dia da Liberdade) - January 13th: This holiday commemorates the country's fight for independence from Portugal, which was achieved on July 5, 1975.
- Labour Day (Dia do Trabalhador) - May 1st: Labour Day is dedicated to workers and laborers, and it is marked by parades, speeches, and various cultural events.
- Africa Day (Dia de África) - May 25th: Cape Verde celebrates its African heritage on this day, which coincides with the African Union's Africa Day. It's a time to celebrate African unity and culture.
- National Day (Dia da Independência) - July 5th: This is Cape Verde's Independence Day, celebrating the country's freedom from Portuguese colonial rule. Festivities include parades, cultural events, and fireworks.
- Assumption Day (Dia da Assunção) - August 15th: Assumption Day is a Christian holiday that honors the Virgin Mary's ascent to heaven. It's celebrated with church services and feasts.
- All Saints' Day (Dia de Todos os Santos) - November 1st: This Christian holiday commemorates all the saints and is observed with religious services and visits to cemeteries.
- Christmas Day (Dia de Natal) - December 25th: Christmas in Cape Verde is celebrated with religious services, festive meals, and gatherings with family and friends.
- Boxing Day (Dia de São Estêvão) - December 26th: Also known as St. Stephen's Day, Boxing Day is celebrated with various traditions and cultural events.
- Family Day (Dia da Família) - December 31st: Cape Verdeans come together with their families to celebrate the end of the year, often with special meals and gatherings.
Some holidays in Cape Verde, such as Easter, Eid al-Fitr, and Eid al-Adha, are based on the lunar Islamic calendar and their dates vary each year. These holidays are observed by the Muslim community and are marked by prayers, feasting, and communal gatherings.
Cape Verde's public holidays provide opportunities for its people to celebrate their history, culture, and diverse traditions. The festivities often include music, dance, and traditional cuisine, making them vibrant and meaningful occasions for the nation.
Upcoming Holidays (next six months)
|Christmas Day / Natal||December 25||Monday||Public Holiday|
|New Year's Day||January 01||Monday||Public Holiday|
|Democracy Day||January 13||Saturday||Public Holiday|
|Heroes Day||January 20||Saturday||Public Holiday|
|Good Friday||March 29||Friday||Public Holiday|
|Labour Day||May 01||Wednesday||Public Holiday|
|Youth Day||June 01||Saturday||Public Holiday|